Ravi Zacharias

Betrayed Trust, Part One: New Testimony, Emails & Other Documents Portray Ravi Zacharias as Predator in Sexting Scandal

By Julie Roys

In 2017, the famous late apologist, Ravi Zacharias, claimed in a Christianity Today (CT) article that a Canadian woman had sent him “unwanted” nude pictures in an attempt by the woman and her husband to extort millions from Zacharias. The explanation effectively absolved Zacharias of wrongdoing in a major sexting scandal and preserved the reputation of Zacharias and his $40 million ministry. (Zacharias, who’s been hailed as “the greatest Christian apologist of this century,” died on May 19, 2020.)

However, emails, testimony, and other documentation recently obtained by The Roys Report tell a much different story.

They instead portray Zacharias as someone who befriended, groomed, and then initiated a sexting relationship with a married woman, Lori Anne Thompson. Then, when Thompson told Zacharias she was going to tell her husband about the illicit relationship, emails show Zacharias threatened suicide.

Months later, after Thompson and Zacharias had signed a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) confining them to silence, Zacharias publicly released a statement to CT, painting Thompson as the predator.

According to Thompson’s lawyer, Boz Tchividjian of Landis Graham French, P.A., Zacharias’ statement in CT “clearly violated the confidentiality provision of the Settlement Agreement” that Zacharias and Thompson had signed. (Tchividjian also is the founder of Godly Response to Abuse in a Christian Environment or G.R.A.C.E.)

Tchividjian added, “At the time, my clients made the very difficult decision to abide by the legally binding agreement even though Zacharias had apparently decided to do otherwise.”

Zacharias’ statement to CT also appears to contradict the facts, according to recently obtained emails between Thompson and Zacharias, as well as never before published letters written in 2016 by Thompson and her husband, Brad.

Also claiming that Zacharias’ statement was false are two Christian counselors, Jerry and Denise Basel. The couple say they helped Lori Anne end her relationship with Zacharias in 2016 and witnessed the break-up.

The Basels have been released from confidentiality and spoke exclusively to The Roys Report last week.

I reached out to Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM) last November with several questions about  Zacharias’ statement to CT and his 2017 lawsuit against the Thompsons. RZIM responded, “The lawsuit has been resolved and neither Ravi Zacharias nor RZIM wish to comment on it further.”

I reached out again to RZIM this week with the new revelations about Zacharias’ relationship with Thompson and emails I had obtained, but RZIM did not respond.

The Breakup and Emails

According to the Basels, Lori Anne Thompson came to meet with them from October 27, 2016—October 31, 2016. They said Thompson was confused and distraught over her relationship with Zacharias.

During their time together, the Basels said they became convinced that Zacharias had groomed Thompson so he could exploit her sexually. The Basels said Thompson, who was 30 years younger than Zacharias, was abused by her father and longed for a nurturing father figure.

“In many ways, she was kind of like a child in regard to him because of his age,” Jerry Basel said.  “It just followed a pattern that we are familiar with in regard to abuse.”

“It was just this slowly drawing Lori into something deeper,” Denise Basel said. “It seemed more innocent at the beginning, but it kept increasing.”

On October 29, 2016, while Thompson was with the Basels, Thompson sent an email to Zacharias, which the Basels released to The Roys Report this week. In it, Thompson writes that she can “no longer continue” with “what I know to be sin against God and each of our spouses.”

Thompson announced that she was planning on telling her husband about her illicit affair with Zacharias that evening. “I have no control over how Brad will respond to or handle the information but I can no longer hold this secret and its soul searing shame,” she wrote.

Thompson added:

If one of my daughters was approached by a man thirty years her senior in a position of power and trust, and this type of thing had occurred, I would be furious with him. I suspect so would you if it were one of your precious girls.  

You sir, are that man. You took advantage of a devastated daughter, and left her devoured once again. I am so appalled that I allowed myself to enter into this level of deception. You took and I gave a part of my soul and later my body that was not yours. The investment in relationship from taking my email to taking off my clothes makes me weep with the despair; feeling desolate, devastated, and disgusted.

Thompson’s letter includes the request that Zacharias not reply “as I simply cannot hear from you or see you ever again.”

However, about three-and-a-half hours later—at 4:38 p.m.—Zacharias sent an email to Thompson, saying:

Are you going to tell him it’s me?

Forty-eight seconds later, Zacharias sent another email, saying:

You promised you wouldn’t Lori Anne. If. You betray me here I will have no option but to bid this world goodbye I promise.

At 5:03 p.m., Zacharias wrote:

Can we not meet at lest (sic) once before you do this? Please please

At 5:57 p.m., Zacharias writes:

Little did I know that was the most dark and accursed day of my life. You will not hear from me again

Eighteen minutes later, at 6:15 p.m., the Basels sent an email to Zacharias from Thompson’s account, stating:

We are Lori Anne’s counsellors and she is currently receiving intensive counselling with us to find healing and restoration for her marriage. It is not her intent to share what has happened to anyone except her husband—which is necessary for any hope of marital restoration. And we are bound by confidentiality. We need some assurance from you that you will not harm yourself. Otherwise, we will find it necessary to contact 911 in your location. We await your prompt response. Thank you.

Three minutes later, at 6:18 p.m., Zacharias responded, saying:

I am fine Thank you. I am just concerned about her. Thank you please tell her I am praying for her. She is very much in my prayers.

The Basels said Thompson confessed to her husband, Brad, that night that she had been in an illicit sexting relationship with Zacharias.

“It was a very, very bad night . . . really, a devastating night for both of them,” Jerry Basel said.

“Premature Forgiveness”

According to the Basels, in the month following the traumatic revelation of the affair, the Thompsons, especially Brad, offered Zacharias “premature forgiveness.” The Basels said both Brad and Lori Anne had not yet worked through the stages of grief and were stuck in a form of denial.

Emails the Basels released between the Thompsons and Zacharias seem to support this.

In an email from Lori Anne to Zacharias that was sent from Brad’s account, Lori Anne wrote: “I wish for you to assume the very best of me, despite my failure; I will assume the very best of you.”

Zacharias responded the same day:

Thank you to you both. . . . I promise to be a better man. I have informed my office that I will turn in my phone next week . . .

The Basels said that the next month, in mid-December, Lori Anne and Brad came to them for five days of intensive counseling together.

Jerry Basel said the couple was “struggling with all that had happened,” but “very committed” to each other. Basel said that as is typical in cases like these, “there was a lot of pain with each other and anger.”

Similarly, Denise Basel said Brad was entering the grieving process and experiencing anger toward Zacharias for what he had done. “That’s when things got a little more direct with Ravi,” she said, and Brad was less willing to give Zacharias “a soft landing.”

About a week later, on December 27, 2016, Lori Anne Thompson wrote a letter documenting her relationship with Zacharias and explaining how she believed Zacharias had preyed on her. Brad Thompson also wrote a letter, expressing the impact Zacharias’ behavior had on his life and his family. I received the letters this week from a trusted source. I sent both letters to the Basels who confirmed their authenticity.

In Part Two of this series, I will report the contents of the Thompson’s letters, which have never before been published, as well as phone records, which corroborate their story. 

Email Correspondence Between Thompsons and Zacharias:

Ravi_Lori Anne Letters_Redacted
SHARE THIS:
  •   
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

GET EMAIL UPDATES!

Keep in touch with Julie and get updates in your inbox!

Don’t worry we won’t spam you.

More to explore
discussion

144 thoughts on “Betrayed Trust, Part One: New Testimony, Emails & Other Documents Portray Ravi Zacharias as Predator in Sexting Scandal”

  1. Julie,
    This story is incredibly heartbreaking. I just don’t buy it that there is a victim here other than the husband, wives, and children of these 2 individuals.
    I’m honestly tired of women refusing to take FULL responsibility for their sin. Women are “groomed” instead of Christian women who willingly took each step that led to the betrayal of their vows.

    Heartbreaking for both families.

    1. There’s a reason it’s a crime for clergy and counselors to have sex with their parishioners and clients in many states. The power differential between someone like Ravi and someone like Lori Anne is sufficiently vast as to render consent impossible.

      Even if you assign some moral blame to Lori Anne, you have to acknowledge that — if the facts as presented here are accurate — Ravi’s responsibility here is much greater. Not many should be teachers, as the good book says…

      1. There is something amiss in the reasoning of Rev John. Do you honestly believe that Bathsheba was innocent in the affair with King David, and only King David was blameworthy? Was Bathsheba “groomed”. The text seems to suggest that she knowingly bathed where she could be seen by the king. And when the king called she consented. Yes King David was called out by the Lord for his sin, but Bathsheba also lost her first born because of adultery. The story of this affair is so different than the story of Amnon’s rape of his half-sister Tamar. There was no consent on her part even though she was groomed (read the story how Amnon groomed her to serve him while pretending to be sick). These texts are significant when evaluating “crimes of non-consent”. Rape is non-consent. Was Monica Lewinsky a mistress or victim? Was consent impossible with Monica because Clinton was the President? Why claim that consent was impossible with Lori Anne? Was she raped? Was she forced to text? K’s comment is more sober. Lori Anne needs to take responsibility for her involvement, confessing it as sinful behavior and betrayal of her marital vows (assuming the reporting to be true). There are some matters where we need to heed, “Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts.” Ravi has passed into the Lord’s presence. I do not see what is to be gained by this story.

        1. I think you’re missing the point here. Lori Anne is not an international Christian leader; Ravi was. The point isn’t whether she’s justified; it’s whether this major Christian figure should have a $40 million ministry bearing his name? Were there other victims of his predatory behavior? What did the board know and when? And if the board, knew nothing, why? They easily could have demanded all emails and phone records.

          1. I’m sorry but if your going to call someone a sexual predator then yes it is very important as to what her state of mind is. If she was simply conning Ravi (Like she did with that other preacher to try and get money) then yes Ravi is not a predator. He merely committed adultery of the heart.

            No. I’m sorry but if your going to call someone a sexual predator then YES it is important as to whether or not she was consenting because if she was then calling ravi a predator is not only a gross exaggeration of what he did but it’s slander. Holding leaders accountable does not mean exaggerating their sin and believing the worst possible degree of evil.

            Julie no offense but even if you come out with video evidence proving all of this tomorrow you’re case is completely falls flat. Guess what? This woman has been proven along with her husband to try and commit fraud in order to get money. The evidence she provided is in no way good enough. I’m sorry but to be perfectly blunt two untrustworthy witnesses who now ever so conveniently now that Ravi zacharias is dead are trying again to slander him.

            I’m sorry but even if it turns out there is something he did wrong…..that doesn’t put the blame on his ministry….period. No exceptions. If you here accusations from known frauds then yes you are justified in ignoring them without hard evidence (Which they did not have). Plus no one can know that woman’s mind except her.

            Plus if she is a fraud (Which has been shown in a Christianity today article) then that REALLY makes me not believe her husband’s rant towards Ravi in the emails. Did Ravi act inappropriately? Maybe. Guess what? It’s not the ministries fault that the evidence was bad and they bear no fault for not believing her when she and her husband are established con-artists.

            David’s name is not wiped out from his position or having the king of Israel position and he not only had sexual intercourse with a subject and had a baby with her but also committed murder? He was honored long after his own death, the ministry has no obligation to change their name or anything and not changing it is not an admission that what Ravi did was correct.

            David indisputably did far worse things than Ravi did even if all of these accusations were true.

            Holding leaders accountable does not mean throwing away everything they worked for and forgetting everything else they did because of one thing. That’s not good enough, if those standards seem to lax to you then I suggest you take it up with God. God doesn’t endorse “One strike” and your out rules.

            Sorry but again the man is dead now. Leave him the F alone.

            Even if there are things that are now becoming known, guess what? By your own admission these things have never been published and a ministry has no obligation to waste time with accusations by known con artists. Especially when a good chunk of the allegations (That Ravi “Groomed” her) are of an internal nature. Something that can’t ever be verified, her state of mind, which is in an integral part of her case that Ravi is a predator.

            Ravi may be un-wise, an adulterer IN THE HEART but not a predator.

            Accountability does not mean one strike and your out. Period.

          2. The Bible consistently tells the truth about its people, even when they don’t end well (like Gideon or Samson, for example). The degree and progress of a “disease” need to be known, if prevention of future cases will be more successful. Failure in keeping the ten commandments doesn’t revoke the justifying efficacy of Christ’s blood; if anything, failure highlights our need for it. However, we’re also obligated to use Biblical terms, and to eschew (or at least examine) poli-psychological terms. “Predator” and “immoral” aren’t synonyms. The former implies innocence on the part of the “prey”, which isn’t always the case.

        2. Dan C, I’m not sure you even read Julie’s story, which details Lori Ann’s confession of her role to her husband.

          Your garbled reading of the David and Bathsheba story with the intent of implicating Bathsheba is similarly uninformed.

          The prophet Nathan’s direct “Thou art the man” accusation of David, after telling a story which compares Bathsheba to an INNOCENT lamb STOLEN from another, contradicts your misogynistic interpretation.

          The account in 2 Samuel 11 makes a simple statement “From the roof he saw a woman bathing” (v2) that in no way implies that Bathsheba invited David’s gaze. Her bathing, in fact was required because “(Now she was purifying herself from her monthly uncleanness.)” v. 4, and she was doing so in the evening/night since David only saw her when he “got up from his bed”. The few details we are given in the story point to Bathsheba being both observant and modest.

          And as for the fact that she went to David when he called: “Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him..”v. 4 David was the king. He was also the leader of her husband’s army. Why would she not answer the request? Indeed, to refuse the king’s command would have put her life at risk. NOTHING in the passage suggests that she knew of his lustful intent, invited it, or accepted it, any more than her husband Uriah invited David to murder him.

          We have the clear, unequivocal judgment of Scripture on this one, Dan C.

          ” When Uriah’s wife heard that her husband was dead, she mourned for him. 27 After the time of mourning was over, David had her brought to his house, and she became his wife and bore him a son. BUT THE THING DAVID HAD DONE DISPLEASED THE LORD.”

          However much you would like it to read “But the thing David #and Bathsheba# had done displeased the Lord”, THE BIBLE DOESN’T SAY THAT.

        3. “Do you honestly believe that Bathsheba was innocent in the affair with King David, and only King David was blameworthy?”

          Yeah. And it’s pretty clear that the prophet Nathan believed that as well. Why on earth do you have so much of your faith invested in blaming victims of sexual abuse and shielding their abusers from full blame?

          I’m not just trying to be pugnacious here. I really hope you’ll think about this and, well, repent.

        4. Please stop victim blaming. Things like this coupled with the abuse of power from evie celebrities are contributing greatly to the exodus from American evangelicalism

        5. Bathsheba had no choice when the King sent messengers who took her. (2 Samuel 11:4)
          The word took in Hebrew means seized, captured, to take captive. She was the property of the King and of her husband, and had no say in what King David wanted. What she wanted wasn’t worth spit.

          The bath she was taking was the ceremonial bath at the end of her menstrual cycle. This was done outdoors, and away from prying eyes. David was on a roof, she wasn’t, so assuming she was a seductress is quite a stretch.

          Apply current democratic ideals and culture to an ancient patriarchal society is misunderstanding scripture.

          In our time in most countries, legally women have rights, as equals.

          For anyone in authority or in a position of power over someone (male or female) to take advantage and liberty of an employee, student, parishioner etc., is abuse of power.
          David wasn’t punished in the civil sense because he had absolute power.

          What is to be gained by this story?
          Like any situation where power is misused: a cautionary tale, a lesson, a historical correction, perspective.
          It is likely there are more people who experienced similar abuse of power by Ravi Z.
          They deserve help. With Lori Anne’s story coming to understanding and light, perhaps they will be able to seek help.

          “For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light.” Luke:8:17

          While Ravi Z is beyond civil penalties, things have been left undone.

    2. Whatever the truth in this I do not agree with the title that he (Ravi) is a sexual predator. It is Just a provocative statement. If he was that talks of a persistent behaviour and O am sure they would all be coming out of the woodwork since his death to make claims on his money. The 30 year difference between a 70 year old man and a 30/40 year old women is not equivalent to a young naive teenage girl and a mature man. For her to portray herself as such is pure garbage. No one shouts predator when a young beautiful woman marries a multi million or billionaire man with decades between them, who we all know are generally doing it for the money and lifestyle they can give them. Who actually is the predator in that scenario.
      If anything, if it did happen as described , it was between two mature adults who made a grave error in their walk with God and won’t be the first or the last.

  2. Julie
    I respect you so much but am disappointed that you are speaking about a man who is no longer with us – let him rest in peace. What’s the point?

    1. Lori Anne Thompson and her husband, Brad, are very much alive. So if what was published to the world about them is false, it matters a great deal. Also, the information I’m publishing is available in Ravi’s emails and phone records. This raises a lot of questions about RZIM’s board. Did they get Ravi’s emails and phone records? If not, that would be gross negligence, given the accusations against him. If they did, then we’re talking about collusion. The truth needs to come out and wrongdoing addressed, regardless of whether a leader is still with us.

      1. Right on, Julie. Also, Razi’s exorbitant salary from his “non-profit” “church”, a.k.a. RZIM, with his family members on the board and staff also raking in big bucks, should be enough of a major red flag that something was and is rotten there.

        1. “I reached out again to RZIM this week with the new revelations about Zacharias’ relationship with Thompson and emails I had obtained, but RZIM did not respond.”
          Perhaps the saddest part of the story. Men are tempted by lust and fall, in secret. But here RZIM has deliberately decided to try to conceal sin, over a long period of time. Sarah Davis is the current President. RZIM claims to be a church (https://www.guidestar.org/profile/13-3200719) so it does not file a form 990 to ensure financial integrity, or we could find the board of directors. Who is on that board? Or is it just a family operation?

    2. The entire Bible is about dead men and women. People who committed some of the most egregious acts. These posthumous accounts serve to exalt the glorious providence of God in intending man’s evil acts for His sovereign purposes and to warn us of the consequences of sin both for ourselves and for those in our sphere of influence.
      Why would you contend that we should not speak of one who is dead? Rather let us hear and be sobered by the fact that no one is immune to the attacks of our adversary, the roaring lion who seeks to devour.
      Furthermore, it is not up to Lori Anne whether Ravi is resting in peace. He died, unrepentant, living a life of deception and hypocrisy. Be warned. None who continue in such rebellion, should assume that they will rest in peace. What is promised to the unrepentant is eternal torment.
      I don’t claim to know the state of his heart before he finally met his judge. There is hope for repentance even until our dying breath. But we must never presume.

  3. I know you’re trying to get the truth out, but he is gone. Unlike the others he did have a ministry that impacted many around the world, bringing them to Lord and the truth. It seems we keep run over with snowballs of disappointment and pain these past years. But Ravi if could fall so could I.

    1. Ravi didn’t “fall.” He groomed and manipulated Lori Anne Thompson. And he molested vulnerable women he employed at his massage businesses. This was a predator, a wolf, not a lamb who has wandered astray. His ministry and heirs are making bank on his reputation, a reputation built on lies.

      Concealing the truth is a sin. His victims are alive, and are still under the bus. If nothing else, Ravi’s passing removes all (admittedly bogus) justifications for protecting his image.

          1. Wow, Ravi was involved in some weird–and quite unChristian–endeavors. I didn’t know this. Thanks for posting, Rev John.

        1. @Unchurched You might want to do some research before you accuse anyone of being a troll. Ravi did, in fact, own two businesses that provided massages.
          https://pulpitandpen.org/2020/09/10/ravi-zacharias-jivan-spa-and-sexual-abuse-its-time-to-speak-out/
          https://virtueonline.org/christian-apologist-ravi-zacharias-owned-two-health-spas-georgia
          You seem to be seeing what you believe and ignoring the facts of the case and of all the facets of his life. In doing so, Unchurched, you sadly become part of the problem. Information continues to come forth that although Ravi was good at his job, but lived an unbiblical lifestyle filled with sexual sin.

    2. That’s the whole point. We can all fall, but people in ministry (be it the nursery or the international pulpit) need to guard themselves, their behavior and their hearts even more. If I understand the Scripture correctly, appearing to be the most spiritual person/leader in the world doesn’t improve our ministry standing when we engage in grievous sin. There are so many warnings in Scripture about the high standard to which leaders are called. Many leaders do not fall, or if they do, they confront it, seek forgiveness, either leave ministry, or go through a full restoration process (not the six-month vacays that seem so popular nowadays). Ravi apparently had many more problems than anyone ever suspected. I don’t believe in wallowing in it, but the truth presented responsibly (as Julie R. does) vs on some internet gossip site may do much to bring healing to many lives.

      1. Linn,
        Imagine this was your daughter for a moment. I glad to know that you have never experienced the pain of abuse.

        RZIM and those related to that organization needs to be held accountable. Ravi’s secrets we’re hardly secrets, there were many who turned a blind eye.

        I’m sorry that the truth is being revealed to you about someone you liked. But the truth will always come out.

        You better buckle up princess, if Julie does this like all of the others this is only the beginning.

        1. You are quite out of line. You have no idea what I have experienced in life in my 60+ years, much of it dealing with people who have experienced domestic violence and sexual abuse. My own home life as a child was marked by domestic violence. I’m also a mandated reporter in my state and I have had to report some awful things. And I’ve seen it in churches and schools. Be a little wiser and more careful about who you decide to call out. God calls His servants to a higher standard. We ignore that to our peril.

    3. J
      I believe I hear your heart. There is another aspect pertaining to the developed relationship we are now hearing about and that is this: The unchecked desire was / is born weeks if not months before the actual event occurs.

      If we consider ourselves to be spiritual, an inward condition; then someone who studies the Word of God of all people must know and be aware of how we can go astray and justify sinful behavior, an outward manifestation (an act) which displays the breakdown of desires at the spirit level. It’s often been said that divorce takes place long before a couple stands in court to have it finalized. The primary goal of the Christian life is not having a ministry to others, but in maintaining a heart of obedience towards God and His word, personally and individually. That I believe that was the point of departure, and we all must pay attention lest our unchecked desires give birth to something that the whole world will eventually know about.

      Just another opinion.

  4. It’s sad that you try to spin this as a “new story” when we’ve all seen these emails on other sites (spiritual sounding board) before Julie pulled them and then on P&P. It shows your sad state of journalism. Also, a lot of uncertainty and non-clarity. Not many concrete facts. Why did Lori try and visit RZ in person? What type of woman does that?

    1. I spun it as it is: new revelations about a 2017 sexting scandal in which Zacharias was essentially absolved of wrongdoing. As for Lori trying to visit Ravi in person, I think you have your facts wrong.

      1. Julie, Is there a plan to publish the following? 1) Screenshot of the “sexting” texts which is the main issue, 2) Screenshot of the email with only the email of the accuser blacked out and NOT the email of Ravi, 2) Screenshot of Ravi’s above-mentioned responses with email address NOT blackout, NOTE (important): Can the email screenshots include the email carrier (yahoo, gmail, etc.)?

        1. 1. Ravi admitted that the sexting texts existed in his statement to CT, so that’s not disputed. But even if I had them, I would not be publishing nude pictures.
          2. I suppose there’s no harm in posting emails without redacting Ravi’s email since he’s passed. Here’s the link: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:8663e09f-0b8e-4632-b972-afb80dc10d98
          3. It’s my policy not to publish private email addresses of the living.

          1. 1, You wrote: “Ravi admitted that the sexting texts existed in his statement to CT, so that’s not disputed.” Any link on this admission? Further, I did not ask for publishing “nude pictures.” I asked for a screenshot of “texts” as in “words.”

            2. On the linked email: What i asked is the “Screenshot of the email with only the email of the accuser blacked out.” And screenshot with the email carrier showing as in “yahoo” or “gmail” etc. And not the word “Conversations.”

            3. You wrote: “It’s my policy not to publish private email addresses of the living.” I did not ask for it.

            I want to know the truth. But so far, what is presented as “proof” does not pass the smell test as this juncture. Blessings!

    2. “What type of woman does that?”

      Your question should be “What type of man does what Razi did”?

      It is clear who has the greater Biblical accountability here.

      Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.
      James 3:1

  5. How very devastating. I have listened and learned from Ravi for many years. Beware Christians. This can happen to any of us at anytime. Guard your heart and mind. Cling to Jesus. I am so disheartened that Ravi chose to cover up his sin rather than confess it fully and seek Gods forgiveness. Unfortunately many people will be negatively impacted by this. I pray that Lori will take responsibility for her actions and decisions as well. Just heart breaking

      1. “You promised you wouldn’t Lori Anne. If. You betray me here I will have no option but to bid this world goodbye I promise.”

        You see that as kindness, BR?

  6. When money becomes the god one worships, lies can be invented at will. The American culture has become the most fertile ground where one can sow and reap the harvest of lies like no other times in history.

  7. I too wonder if there is not a log in Julie’s eye. She used to be such a good reporter in the past but now she is on mission to expose and bring down male church leaders. Why? This is all she shoots for now since the Moody expose’. And I can’t help seeing the bias in her reporting. It is always the woman who is the innocent victim, being groomed by another sexual predator. It is the same scenario repeated over and over and over again (never the woman committing adultery is blameworthy. She is always innocent). Same story, only the names change. And she seeks for it whether dead or alive. There seems to be a morbid interest in bringing down church leaders, almost a loathing of male pastoral leadership. And it is her job to bring them down in the name of truth! What makes this news worthy to expose Ravi? What is to be gained? His repentance? He is with the Lord. The only thing to be gained is to degrade his name and ministry. How is that Christlike? Who among you are without sin?Julie obviously has no qualm about being the first to sling the stone. Something is wrong in her reporting and I pray to God that she will return to a more God-honoring journalism, because this is not it. There is a Biblical process in confronting the sin of a brother. Jesus warns about being a judge over another whose only purpose is to expose and condemn. We did not learn Christ in this way. Christian journalism is better than this.

    1. Wouldn’t it be something if we found out Ravi paid for some of his “encounters” nah that couldn’t have happen, right? Still would be the woman’s fault, always the woman’s fault.

        1. SBC Survivors Voice,
          Please understand my thick use of sarcasm. As I was responding to Dan C. and his uninformed comments. Best to all survivors including you.

          1. Thanks so much for clearing that up. I have found many of the responses on this very concerning and uninformed. Please accept my apologies for not catching the sarcasm in your statement. I cannot remember the name of the guy earlier who blamed Bathsheba for “tempting” the king. He should really revisit his studies on the culture and the situation. Seems to me that she had NO CHOICE but to go to the king when being summoned. Who would dare deny a king’s summons. To do so could certainly mean death. Also, her husband was in the king’s army and to be summoned would possibly mean information of her husband’s wellbeing. In no way would she have suspected that she was being summoned for Rape.

    2. Yo Dan C, you serious? One thing to be gained is the fact that the woman might not be what Ravi and his company tried to make her out to be. I have more that I could say but it has been a trying day so I will sign off.

    3. Julie is exposing the pattern of abuse that is sadly more prevalent than we would like to believe possible. She’s targeting the pattern, not the person. Why would we not want that behavior exposed?

      The other piece of this are the “boards” of these “Christian” organizations. A bunch of “yes-men (and women)” rubber-stamping and turning a blind eye. Boards don’t do anything until behavior begins to affect the bottom line. It’s not a ministry, it’s a business whose product is religion. If it didn’t pay the bills and make money it would cease to exist.

    4. What is to be gained from Julie reporting this information, Dan C??? How about the TRUTH!!! And that should be what all of us desire because God desires TRUTH in the inmost parts (Ps. 51:6). Julie doesn’t report anything without documentation and interviews and facts that support her reporting. This story grieves me beyond words not because I expected Ravi to be perfect but I DID expect him to walk in integrity just as God expects that from me! Don’t cast all of the blame on Julie for exposing sin. What we do in the dark WILL come to the light (Luke 12:2-3) and God will not be mocked, so you better believe that if things aren’t right,He will have the last word and he doesn’t care who He exposes that is living a double life! Lori Anne and her husband were vilified in the press by Ravi. Of course, they will want to defend their name! We have turned a new chapter in Christiandom where people are finding out their celebrity pastors are not the men they thought they were. I, for one, am thankful that the James MacDonalds and the Jerry Falwell Jrs and Bill Hybels of the world are being exposed because there are board members and deacons and elder boards ALLOWING these men to get away with behavior that doesn’t honor God. I pray it will scare the heck out of people serving in their church or organizations to seek, find, defend, and get TRUTH above all things.

    5. Dan,

      Serious question for you. Do you really think that the kingdom would be better served by allowing ministries to conceal the sins of abusive, predatory leaders?

      Would God be pleased if Bill Hybels was still in the pulpit? If Jerry Falwell Jr. was still leading a Christian university?

      I have seen — firsthand — the lifelong trauma suffered by boys whose priests molested them; the priests were never caught and went on to molest other children.

      And I’ve witnessed the devastation of young women who were sexually pursued, obtained and discarded by powerful pastors whose defenders covered up the sin, the young women then left to bear their shame without the benefit of their church’s encouragement, who then have to watch their abusive pastor “bring the word” to the adulation of an ignorant congregation.

      I’ve heard the sobs of a 14 year old girl who had been raped by a powerful pastor (that I myself confronted and reported to the police at great personal and relational cost and over the objections of the pastor’s elders and colleagues). When asked why she didn’t report it earlier, she said, “I didn’t think anyone would believe me. I was a little girl without a father, and he was an influential pastor.”

      Do you honestly believe that God is angry with those exposing abuse rather than the abusers and those who would conceal their sins?

      Please prayerfully reconsider your position in light of Matthew 26. Jesus told those who withheld aid to the thirsty and enchained, “If you haven’t listened to the cries of the least of these, you’ve shut your ears to me. Go to hell.”

      My paraphrase, of course, but check it out with an open, humble heart and you’ll see I’ve done the text justice.

    6. Look what happened to the Catholic Church when it turned a blind eye to the misdeeds of its clergy. How do you expect to win converts if immoral behavior and corruption are constantly being excused and covered up by those in charge.

      It will always come out in the end, and the youth of today are already disillusioned by hypocrisy and lack of accountability among established evangelical leaders.

      1. Thank you Julie! I’ve been praying about that situation for a few years on behalf of the Thompsons as various aspects have come to my attention in various ways and how it was handled by the powers that be in that case is concerning! your independent investigation and reporting is an ANSWER TO PRAYER!

  8. After we learned how Ravi lied about his academic credentials over the years, should we really be surprised that he lied about this sordid episode?
    And after all the other cases we have seen where organizations built around a single individual (Falwell Jr., Hybels, KP Yohannon, James McDonald) have Boards that turn a blind eye to any wrongdoing by that individual, should we really be surprised that RZIM has no interest in pursuing truth or righting the wrongs done by Ravi Z?

  9. Unfortunately,

    Y’all will be hearing more bad news shortly. There are other Christian leaders looking into new allegations of misconduct. RZIM will eventually have to confront the allegations. I remember Mr. Zacharias saying how he would never be alone with women besides his family.

    I am shaken by what is being discovered. It is as if Billy Graham had been found out to have lived a second life. Mr. Ravi has not had the same cultural impact, but he was a towering figure in the evangelical world and was and is dearly loved by many people. I grew up listening to him.

    Bill Gothard lived a second life and how many families were destroyed by his sins?

    I feel bad for his family and especially his daughters.

  10. Uh…she was 44 YEARS OLD. She is in no way a child, as she is being painted out to be, gimme a break. If true, it just comes to show the intensely serious condition
    of man’s sexual nature and women falling for it as well. God help us all.

    1. “it just comes to show the intensely serious condition of man’s sexual nature ”

      No, it just comes to show the intensely serious condition of man’s SIN nature.

      Ravi CHOSE to sin.

      1. And so did Lori. She is matured enough to say no to sin she also chose to do. Let us see what she really wanted to gain in this issue. She is forgiven also forgiven also by God. Whether she wanted to be paid with money and be at peace after or just trying to expose the truth to heal her and her husbands soul… Let us see their motives… Needless to say, the sin of a man is not a sin of the entire family.

  11. We are always told that women can dress however they like. If a man lusts after her it is the mans fault. Her we are with a mature woman with a husband who just couldn’t control herself because she had father issues. This isn’t her first go round.
    It sounds like her ‘counselors’ are just seeking fame through poor innocent Lori.
    Ravi is dead. Drop it leave it alone.
    Julie is doing great damage to Christianity.

    1. “We are always told that women can dress however they like. If a man lusts after her it is the mans fault. ”

      It is Jesus himself that says that if a man lusts after a woman it is the man’s fault. There is ZERO mention of a woman’s dress in his instruction to men regarding lust. If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with Jesus.

      “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’
      But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
      If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
      (Matthew 5:27-28)

      1. I Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

        10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

        The book of Proverbs also has passages about women who dress provocatively.

        Certainly, men are to blame for their lust. But stop trying to pretend that women don’t play a part in causing it.

        1. And none of those passages make the women responsible for “causing” a man’s behavior.
          Thanks for proving my point.

          “Stop stop trying to pretend that women don’t play a part in causing it.”

          You’re taking issue with what Jesus said, Larry, not with me.
          Jesus held the men so accountable that he said they should gouge their eyes out rather than offend.
          Do you take that literally?

        2. Larry “Uh, let cherry pick two or three Bible verses to provide steel man prooftexts for my unbiblical assertion!”

          Aside from providing this forum a textbook example of eisegesis, what’s your point here? Do you really think that Ravi’s problem was women dressing too sexy? This guy has been clearly demonstrated to be a hypocrite, and liar a fraud. Why should you find it difficult to believe that he’s also a sexual predator?

          Watch this space. We’ve already heard credible reports that he sexually abused vulnerable immigrant women he employed at his massage businesses. The floodgates have not yet opened.

    2. Denise,
      Christianity is not about putting on a good show. It is not about covering up wrong so that the church looks good. True Christianity is about living in the light, confessing our faults one to another, repentance and restitution, relieving the oppressed. Which is more of a draw to outsiders: a church that appears so perfect they know they wouldn’t fit in OR a church where the members confess their faults and find overcoming power in Jesus’ spirit to change?

    3. Thank you Julie for exposing deeds of darkness!

      the damage is done by those who do the abuse in the first place – let there be no sexual immorality among you… let no one deceive you with empty words… walk as children of light… find out what is pleasing and acceptable to the Lord…. have nothing to do with deed of darkness, rather expose them! Eph 5:1-21

  12. The same old soup, just reheated. I was expecting to see fresh and crucial revelations being presented here. This piece of information was available in public for years. I want to get the truth and nothing but the truth. Do not be mistaken, I am not by any means persuaded to defend Mr. Zacharias, I simply want more clear evidence and not the same story being retold in a thousand more convincing ways. When I am told that new information is introduced to the story and there are new players coming forward with crucial evidence I expect something fresh that brings to light unknown facts to us the reasonable public seeking earnestly for the truth. Still, I will follow closely this new investigation and I will wait patientily for RZIM to respond. I am convinced that sooner or later the truth will come out to light.

    1. Ezra,
      This is part one of who knows how many. Julie is laying the context for those who are unaware of this story up until now. If you have followed Julie for any amount of time then you should know, that she would never publish anything like this unless it’s been verified by many sources, and also if she doesn’t have a lot more to provide.

    2. There is more to come. See Friendly Banjo Atheist on YouTube. There will be some links to a Christian leader. You can judge for yourself. RZIM has already been approached.

  13. so sad, so very, very sad. Why? What good can from all this? What kind of testimony are all of us to the unbelievers around us? Why do we have to bring all of this out to the public where unbelievers see all of this? Why can’t only those involved as Christians deal with this in private together, before the Lord? If we are Christians, saved because of our faith in Jesus Christ only and we have the help of the Holy Spirit and the guidance of the Word of God…..mature Christians, who love the Lord should deal with this in quietness and seek forgiveness. Why do we have to bring this all out in front of the whole world when we know that the unbelievers are always looking for ways to put us down. Mature Christians should seek the godly counsel of spiritual leaders and then they should sit down and then work through it all. We do not all have to be involved in this. It only concerns those who have offended, those who are the offenders and spiritual godly leaders (Pastors) to work through the problem and then resolve it. Isn’t our responsibility, as fellow Christians, to bring reconciliation, to restore, to bring healing and closure? This happened in 2016 and we are now 2020 – that man is dead, Will everyone be happy if we will destroy one another and destroy ministries? All of this is so incredibly sad. I just can’t imagine how God must feel when He sees what we are doing. I (Ann) am not condoning anything bad that we as Christians do. We will all give an account someday before the Lord. We should live with integrity, being trustworthy obeying the Scriptures, having the mind of Christ, presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice. May God forgive us all.

    1. SCRIPTURE REMINDS US that EVERYTHING done in darkness will be brought to the light.
      I WAS GROOMED the exact same way by a Senior Pastor. I had NO KNOWLEDGE I WAS BEING SET UP.
      Neither did Bathsheba as she was summoned before King David.
      P.S. I was 40. He was 60.
      He was protected and shielded by his “inner circle of Armour Bearors, Deacons, and Associate Ministers-all while continuing to “proclaim the Gospel”-after I FINALLY had the guts and courage to confront him…I became his NEXT SERMON…in front of a filled house of laughing and “AMEN” congregants. ALWAYS STAND FOR TRUTH JULIE ROYS. May our God continue to protect and cover you with the blood of our Risen Savior as God has given you the charge if going were too few are willing.

    2. What good can come of this?!!!

      The world can see that we as Christians care more about vulnerable members of the flock than predators in the pulpit. Victims — inside and outside of the church — can know that our congregations are safe, where they’ll be protected and their abusers held accountable.

      You have this so upside down, I can hardly believe it. But alas, I do. Because I’ve seen this attitude so many times before. But the fruit of this impulse is downright satanic. Abusers flourish and victims suffer.

      1. Felicia Beverly Moscatelli

        Sexual sin all around us. God has standards to protect us. Think how most people don’t follow God’s command. No sex outside of marriage. Even many Christians don’t obey God on this one. I agree with Rev John, we have the victims to care for now.

    3. Thanks Ann for your comments. Good question. Why do they need to bring this all out to the public rather than deal with it privately? My guess is that they no longer see the church as the home and family of God, but rather a corporate entity requiring public accountability as do other corporations. If there was a scandal in their own personal family, I wonder if they would feel “responsible” to hold them accountable to the world. Suppose their son got caught sexting a younger girl, or their daughter was having an affair with a married man. Would they drag that news out in the open and shame their own kids publicly for what they were doing in secret? Suppose their Mom or Grandfather committed sexual sin. Would they consider it news worthy to expose them to their community, publish it in the family newsletter. What would love do to a family member in such a situation. Oh but the gainsayers will say, Ravi’s a public figure! That’s different. Public figures bear a greater public responsibility. Yes, your right. That is how the world thinks. But our Lord is not like the world and neither is His kingdom. Jesus cautions about judging before the time. He knows and tells us that our sins, yes yours too, will be revealed, not by me or someone else, but will be revealed before the King’s throne and nothing will be hidden, not even your justifying motives. You want truth? You’ll get your truth. By the same measure you judge, so shall you be judged. Judgment does begin with the household of God. But who made you Judge over His household. Beware of cloaking self righteousness as the pursuit of truth. This whole series of articles is slanted toward a presumption of sexual predating and grooming an innocent victim. Sure sounds like another similar Ann story not too long ago. That other story (you know that Moody professor) involved repeated consensual sexual intercourse over a lengthy period of time. She too was the victim. Makes for juicy journalism, but are you confident you got it right? You are sure you are able to discern the hearts of both down to the bone and marrow? You are for certain that she could not but consent to a text, a text, not in person, but a text (if there really was one) asking her to take off her clothes and send a nude picture? So in the privacy of her own home, alone, she begins to unbutton her blouse, unsnap her bra, drop her pants, pose, take the picture herself, then upload the picture to her phone, text and press send. And then keep doing it. She was groomed to do this? You are certain you got this right? She is the innocent victim here. So the story line goes. I reread Part 1 and Part 2 and the lawsuit, and her letter. Julie, you know better. If anything we learned in PCM and RL is transference, repeating the story of one’s past over and over again; self-fulfilled prophecy (sexualizing the daddy image); about the difference of intimate interaction between men and woman; for women it is the emotional connection and to have an understanding man who listens; for the man is the attention, respect, looking up to, and the visual of the woman. Even if this happened between the two of them, I’m not seeing this as a story of a sexual predator and victim that is being spinned. If anything at all, it is the story of a little leaven, leavening the whole lump. An apparent innocent series of conversations striking an emotional connection then becoming sexualized. And I suppose that demanding 5 million dollars for hush money is what innocent people do. So if her and her husband profitted from this, then we wouldn’t be reading about this would we? So what is this story about?

      1. Correction from above post: “That other story (you know that Moody professor) involved repeated consensual sexual intercourse over a lengthy period of time.” Should be Wheaton professor.

    4. I Tim 5:20 states to bring these sins of leaders to light in the presence of ALL – this is public! holding these leaders (and those who enabled them…ie their boards/councils) accountable is a testimony to unbelievers that the Church will not cover up and hide these abuses… that the Church will not silence the victims… but that the Church will hold accountable those who abuse their power for their own benefit at the expense of others…

      not saying, there isn’t forgiveness and restoration, but being public about leaders sins warns other leaders of consequences, warns potential future victims, as well as possibly encourage past victims that have not said anything to report what happened to them…

      as believers, our mature response is to pray for the Church to be the Church God intended her to be, holy, righteous, pure, mature… exposing this is not gossip or slander… this is a warning… this is God’s mercy and grace…

      1. Come on Bev, the ALL isn’t the news media spread to the whole world. It means in the presence of the church body. What did Rome care about the sins of church leaders? And since when will unbelievers be wowed by what the church does? In fact, Paul advises believers not to go before unbelievers to settle disputes. Settle it among yourselves. When Paul dealt with sexual sin, the incestuous man at Corinth, he says “In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together…”. Sins of church members, including leaders, are to be brought before the gathered local church and elders. In some churches it could go before the synod or classis.

        1. I might agree with you had Ravi’s “ministry” been confined to a single church or denomination.
          But it wasn’t.

          Ravi CHOSE and PURSUED a wider public stage, and it is appropriate that his sins be exposed there as well, so that no one will continue to be deceived by him.

    5. Ann, you’re right that this kind of thing should never have to come to light. It only is coming to light because Ravi Zacharias was unrepentant and compounded his sin by lying about it, and because the other people in his organization helped him, and because, apparently, he had no personal church to which he was accountable. If his ministry is as corrupt as he was, hten it is a good thing if it is destroyed. It’s a very bad sign that RZIM chose to call itself a church, not just because that is false, but because they did it so they wouldn’t have to disclose executive salaries and other financial details.

  14. While I wouldn’t put ANY sin past ANY sinner, I’m skeptical. They had almost three years to come forward after Ravi supposedly broke his NDA, but they chose not to…

    …until after Ravi died and was no longer able to defend himself or shed any new light to counter new allegations.

    Even if Ravi did what he is accused of, questioning RZIM about it would be pointless, as the only people privvy to behind-closed-doors allegations are the parties that were presumed to be behind those closed doors. Unless Ravi was somehow sharing these supposed sexts with RZIM, they would have no information to share.

    In any case, whether or not the allegations are true, the strength of Ravi’s ministry was NEVER in his character but in his logic, his apologetic. He changed lives NOT by being a “righteous” man but by demonstrating how faith in God is a most reasonable proposition. If you want to undermine his life’s work, THAT is where it’s gonna have to be done.

    But to give a more tangible reason for my skepticism, just read through the “emails” ascribed to Ravi…

    [You promised you wouldn’t Lori Anne. If. You betray me here I will have no option but to bid this world goodbye I promise.]

    Also…

    [Can we not meet at lest once before you do this? Please please]

    On and on, you find example after example of bad grammar, misspelled words, and all sorts of simple errors that are more indicative of teenagers and Facebookers than for the man that has spent his adult life as an itinerant speaker, speaking precisely even when speaking from the hip. I mean, just look at the difference in format, how “clean” the Thompsons’ and Basels’ emails were, and how haphazard Ravi’s were. One would think that the Thompsons were the seasoned communicators, not Ravi.

    1. Jeremy,
      Are you also skeptical of those who have come out and alleged abuse by Catholic priests, some after twenty years?
      Some even after the priest that abused them had died?

      Or is it just Ravi that you would defend?

      As to bad grammar and misspelled words, what a strange point on which to base your conclusion of guilt or innocence. Ravi was so agitated he threatened suicide, a mental state that doesn’t lead one to be focused on precision in text messages.

      1. I’d be more inclined to believe her if she wasn’t caught trying to pull this same stunt in order to get money from a different pastor. Plus she tried to do this 3 years ago and failed and now conveniently when Ravi can’t defend himself she just HAS to let everyone know.

        I’m sorry I don’t buy it.

  15. There was no sex. Only sexting is what she claims. Why then are they not releasing any evidence- text msgs, emails etc. If Ravi violated the NDA these ple shud release the evidence. I was married to a spouse who was a pathological liar and he manipulated our marriage counsellors till they believed him completely. I don’t believe a word of this. This woman is the mother of 3 daughters, she’s certainly not a child. She knew exactly what she was doing and she and her husband have done it before. She would have gone to the counsellor just to record this to use them in court.

    And even if it’s true, all people sin. All pastors sin too. They are human. This only proves Ravi’s msg of man’s fallen state and our need for grace and forgiveness.

  16. ” text msgs, emails etc.”

    Did you even read the article? Julie has text messages and emails.

    Yes, pastors sin. Christians are instructed in the New Testament to hold them to account, that the church itself not be polluted.

    “This only proves Ravi’s msg of man’s fallen state and our need for grace and forgiveness.”

    That’s not Ravi’s message, it is Jesus’ message. You seem to be confusing Ravi with the Saviour.

    1. If Julie has it then where are they? Bring them out. This woman is a liar who has taken a 5M dollar payout and claims to have been forced to sign under ‘excruciating’conditions 🙄 she just wants more money now

  17. A nice thing about this story is that it shows a weakness of nondisclosure agreements. The usual script is for the celebrity Christian to break the law, refuse to admit it publicly, and settle out of court, paying the victim a bit more than they’d have won in court in exchange for a non-disclosure agreement to keep everything secret. But a NDA only binds the person who signs it, the victim– not other people who know what happened. Here, it’s an interesting legal question as to whether the NDA even binds the Thompsons, since it seems Zacharias violated it first, but they’ve chosen not to come forward. I hope that celebrity lawyers will learn from this that it’s not safe to rely on money in legal settlements to conceal their scandals: they’ll pay the money and the story will come out anyway.

  18. I am not questioning that Ravi was wrong, very wrong in his interactions with Lori. My question is why the request for millions of dollars and then sign a NDA, assuming for a chunk of cash. If the fault was all on one side, there was nothing to stop them from exposing the truth. Why demand money?

      1. I wish Julie also publishes the following: 1) Screenshot of the “sexting” texts which is the main issue, 2) Screenshot of the email with only the email of the accuser blacked out and NOT the email of “Ravi,” 2) Screenshot of “Ravi’s” above-mentioned responses with email address NOT blacked out. NOTE: It would really authenticate the email if the screenshots include the email carrier (yahoo, gmail, etc.) and not the word “Conversations” So, I’m not jumping to conclusion here. But so far the “proof” presented does not pass the smell test.

          1. You wrote: “Lori Anne. And Pinoy your consistent asking to see these pictures is, how shall I write…borderline creepy.” Please read what I wrote: “Screenshot of the “sexting” texts which is the main issue.” Where in that sentence does it say “pictures.” I wrote “texts” as in words. The exchange of conversation that Ravi is in it.

          2. Pinoy,
            Maybe I’m misunderstanding your repeated request to see the screen shots of the “sexting” texts. To which I understand as you want to see the screen shots of the sexting text.

            Given how many times you have posted this request, seems to me like you are wanting to see the sexting texts from Lori Anne, which I find rather creepy. – capisce?

          3. Jerome, you wrote: “Maybe I’m misunderstanding your repeated request to see the screen shots of the “sexting” texts. To which I understand as you want to see the screen shots of the sexting text.
            Given how many times you have posted this request, seems to me like you are wanting to see the sexting texts from Lori Anne, which I find rather creepy. – capisce?”

            Your logic does not follow my friend.

            First, The issue is is Ravi “grooming” LA via texts or email. So far, I have I have not seen any “words” or “texts” (again as in “words”) Ravi doing that. And even if I see another another email just like the pone posted, it does not meet my standard of proof.

            Second, A million pictures of the accuser (one side) does not help to solve the skepticism I have. So why would I ask for that?

            Third, now you are resorting to straw-man (pictures) and ad hominem (creepy).

            Fourth, for some reason, I no longer capability to “reply” to your last post. I hope this post is not taken down.

  19. How do you know the emails are authentic? There are programs where you can change the sender information to any email so it looks like someone is emailing when they really aren’t.

  20. To Dan C…..last time I checked the vast majority of Christian evangelical leaders are MALE and you may not like it but the fact is that most sexual predators are….you guessed it…MALE! Do you have children of both sexes Dan C??? If so…who do you guard more….your son or your daughter?? Why???

  21. Is there a plan to publish the following? 1) Screenshot of the “sexting” texts which is the main issue, 2) Screenshot of the email with only the email of the accuser blacked out and NOT the email of “Ravi,” 2) Screenshot of “Ravi’s” above-mentioned responses with email address NOT blackout, NOTE: Can the email screenshots include the email carrier (yahoo, gmail, etc.)?

      1. Lea, you wrote: Please read what I wrote: “Screenshot of the “sexting” texts which is the main issue.” Where in that sentence does it say “nude photos.” I wrote “texts” as in words. The exchange of conversation that Ravi is in it.

        1. I think there is a language barrier here. “Sexting” as commonly used, includes transmission of words and imagery (still or video) of an erotic nature. “Text” simply means that those images were sent via a text messaging system, not some other platform like email.

          Regardless, the Biblical evidentiary standard for believing that an elder has committed misconduct is the testimony of two or three witnesses, and that standard has been met.

  22. Julie, I like the expose type reporting that you do. However, Ravi is with the Lord. What good purpose does this serve now when he is no longer present to speak? The only purpose from my perspective that this serves is to cause more sadness for the truly innocent ones left here- Ravi’s family- and also to this woman’s family. She and Ravi it appears engaged in a relationship that obviously wasn’t the Lords will. That was already a fact. Lori Ann states a terrible upbringing and if one wants to go down that road I believe that Ravi had his own struggles before coming to Christ, per his testimony. What good purpose does this serve? Isn’t there enough shame in all this? I like your work on MacDonald and Falwell ect but these people are still present here on earth. I see this fact as being distinctly different. I think more care and thought should be given to the family of Ravi and the family of this woman. Her husband whether he knows it or not needs rest from all this. It seems the sister of Lori Ann wants her sisters name cleared. Why? It’s done. Let time and the Lord heal these people. Just my thoughts.

    1. Cynthia,

      Because there are people still alive who enabled this and turned a blind eye and let Ravi do what Ravi did. It is this attitude of “let bygones be bygones” – “he’s dead what differences does it make?” that has lead to decades (if not more) of sexual abuse in the church. The CHURCH the very Bride of Christ! Should we not be holding our leaders accountable for their actions?

      Your sentiment, that you wrote above, has been shared by many over the years and that head in the sand approach is why women, and men, get abused, and then live in pain and fear the rest of their lives.

      Fine let’s ignore these issues I’m sure it will be fine. Worked out well for the Catholic church and the SBC didn’t? Let’s not worry about the collateral damage from it, the damage to these victims souls.

      If you don’t see the problem with what Ravi did, you’re the problem.

      Ravi being dead doesn’t change what he did. It doesn’t change that he lived a double life. And it doesn’t change the fact that his wife, kids, board at RZIM, and likely many friends (leaders in the Church) knew what he was up to, and said NOTHING. – That is why.

    2. One reason is that while Ravi may be gone the organization he founded–and which had a duty to hold him accountable while these abuses were taking place–is still out there publicly asking Christians for money.

      Don’t Christians have a right to know whether RZIM has in the past and is now conducting itself in an ethical and moral manner?

      Why would any Christian donate to or support them without knowing this?

  23. To the “Christian” journalist who wrote this and commented above: who are you to qualify RZ’s behavior as predatory?
    It was as sinful as the adulterer woman behavior but It was a willing and consensual sexting relationship between 2 adults. Men in power love that they have groupies; and groupies love men in power.
    So. If a 30y/o woman has sex with a powerful 60y/o man, it was because he groomed her?
    Was not there any kind of financial, sexual or social gain for this adulterer woman?
    Specially now that RW can’t defend himself.
    That adulterer woman may fool many in this world, but she won’t be able to fool God.

Leave a Reply

Donate

Hi. We see this is the third article this month you’ve found worth reading. Great! Would you consider making a tax-deductible donation to help our journalists continue to report the truth and restore the church?

This month if you give over $25/mo you will receive the eBook edition of God, Greed, and the Prosperity Gospel by Costi W. Hinn.