Saying his family is “walking through the darkest valley we’ve ever faced,” pastor and author, Voddie Baucham, has announced he’s battling heart failure and asked for prayer.
“Not only have we experienced a great deal of loss in recent weeks,” Baucham, whose wife, Bridget, recently lost her mother, wrote. “(B)ut we are also facing a family health crisis.”
Baucham, who serves as the dean of theology at African Christian University in Lusaka, Zambia, says he is trying to return to the United States for labs, exams, and treatments, some of which “will be significant.”
The popular speaker and founder of Voddie Baucham Ministries (VBM) said that on Thursday, “things took a turn for the worse” and he had to be admitted for treatment to stabilize him for the trip. However, Baucham said he has improved and has been cleared to fly on Saturday.
Baucham said he first started experiencing symptoms, like “fatigue and shortness of breath,” at the end of December. However, he said he “chalked it up to traveling with heavy bags and restrictive masks (not the trifecta of a hereditary heart defect, last February’s mysterious ‘pneumonia,’ and untreated sleep apnea).”
In January, Baucham embarked on a winter tour, taking him to 10 locations in six U.S. states in 15 days—”the busiest tour I’ve ever done.”
On the way home, Baucham said he experienced episodes “I could only describe as being waterboarded every two or three minutes.” The next morning, he went to a medical center and learned he was in “full-blown heart failure.”
On social media, Baucham asked for prayer for the following items:
- Please pray that the Lord will grant us traveling mercies.
- Please pray that he will grant me strength for the journey. Right now, it is challenging just walking from the bedroom to the kitchen table; I don’t know how I am going to survive a 36-hour trip.
- Please pray for God’s providential healing.
- Please pray for my dear wife as she walks through yet another valley—this time with her ‘rock’ leaning on her.
- Please pray for our children. They are terrified. May the Lord use this to teach them to trust in the Father who never gets weak or sick.
- Please pray for the doctors who will treat me.
- Please pray for finances to come through as we are currently uninsured and will have to cover everything out-of-pocket.
- Please pray for our witness as we endure this trial. We often think our faith shines brightest when we are on mountain tops when in fact, it is the dark valley that offers the sharpest relief and clearest contours.
- Please pray for me as I strive to lead my family while facing the reality of my own dependence.
UPDATE: A Fund-Me account has been set up to help the Bauchams with medical expenses. Click here to donate.